Kingmaker in Eberron
On the continent of Khorvaire, none can claim to be the heirs of a kingdom which lasted for over sixteen millennia save for the hobgoblins. The Dhakaani Empire was formed in what is referred to as the Age of Monsters (-16,000 YK). This empire combined the three goblinoid races under one united rule, goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears. The tradition known as the Gatekeepers appeared during the rule of the Dhakaani though its relationship to the empire is unclear.
Personality: Civil strife shattered your once proud empire over five thousand years ago, scattering much of what was once a proud nation to the corners of Khorvaire. Yet still the reputation of a hobgoblins skill and ferocity in battle rivals those of the Valenar elves. Many of the other nations view hobgoblins with a degree of fear and disgust, due to what is considered a very outdated look on cultural aspects such as slavery which is still practiced in Darguun. Those who rule must be strong, and it is the place of the weak to be under them. This has long been the tradition of the hobgoblin and yet some question the diplomatic prowess of the current leader of Darguun, The Lhesh Haruuc, as an affront to their culture.
Hobgoblin Lands: With the end of the Last War, a new smaller nation of Hobgoblins have emerged in the country known as Darguun. While not officially recognized by the Treaty of Thronehold, no one can dispute that the ruler of this monstrous nation is The Lhesh Haruuc, an aging hobgoblin general that led an uprising 29 years ago among the goblinoid races which helped to form the nation of Darguun. Whether the future of the hobgoblins will be written with word or conquest has yet to be seen.
Dragonmarks: Throughout their history, no hobgoblin has manifested a dragonmark.
- +2 Str, +2 Int, -2 Cha
- Darkvision: 60 feet.
- Intimidating: Hobgoblins receive a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate skill checks due to their fearsome nature.
- Languages: Hobgoblins begin play knowing Common and Goblin
- Martial Prowess: At a young age all hobgoblins are taught to defend themselves with honor on the battlefield. A Hobgoblin is proficient in one simple or martial weapon of their choice.
- Warrior’s Pride: Once a day a Hobgoblin may re-roll a failed save vs. a fear effect, and take the better result.
- Warrior’s Tactics: Trained at a young age to excel in group tactics, Hobgoblins gain a +3 bonus on attack rolls (and combat maneuver bonus) when flanking a target rather than the normal +2.
Alternate Racial Traits
- Heir of Dhakaan: Under the inspiration of the Lhesh Haruuc some Hobgoblins have begun to research their lost empire and search for its lost relics. Hobgoblins with this trait treat Knowledge (History) as a class skill. This trait replaces the Intimidating racial trait.
- Sacred Tattoo: Tattoos, piercings, and ritual scarification are sacred markings to many hobgoblins. Hobgoblins with this trait gain a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws. This racial trait replaces the Warrior’s Pride and Warrior’s Tactics racial traits.