Kingmaker in Eberron
In their homeland, Halflings are nomads who ride domesticated dinosaurs across the wide plains. The heritage of the nomad also serves more urbanized Halflings well, and Halflings have established themselves across Khorvaire as merchants, politicians, barristers, healers, and criminals. The tribal nomads of the plains can sometimes be found in the cities, but often the Halflings of the cities blend in with the rest of the population and display only the occasional reminder of their nomadic roots.
Halfling Lands: Halflings originated on the Talenta Plains and still thrive there, continuing the nomadic traditions they have practiced for thousands of years. Technically subjects to Galifar before the Last War, many Halflings of the Talenta Plains spread to the extent of civilization, and Halflings are now found in every city in Khorvaire. They bring their glib tongues and quick minds to whatever trades they choose to follow.
Dragonmarks: The Halfling House Ghallanda carries the Mark of Hospitality, granting its members magical abilities related to food, drink, and shelter. Members of this house operate inns and restaurants, prepare food for royalty, or conjure food for their fellow nomads in the Talenta Plains. House Jorasco carries the Mark of Healing, enabling its members to provide curative services in cities throughout Khorvaire.
- +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str
- Small: Halflings are small creatures, and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a -1 on their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Slow Speed: Halflings have a base speed of 20 feet.
- Keen Senses: Halflings receive a +2 bonus on Perception skill checks.
- Sure-footed: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Climb skill checks.
- Halfling Luck: Halflings receive a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- Fearless: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear. This bonus stacks with the bonus granted by Halfling luck.
- Weapon Familiarity: Halflings are proficient with slings and treat any weapon with the word “Halfling” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Languages: Halflings begin play speaking Common and Halfling.
Alternate Racial Traits
- Craven: While most halflings are fearless, some are skittish, making them particularly alert. Halflings with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on initiative checks and a +1 bonus on attack rolls when flanking. They suffer a -2 penalty on fear saves and gain no benefit from morale bonuses on fear saves. When affected by a fear effect, their base speed increases by 10 feet and they gain a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class. This racial trait replaces the Fearless and Halfling Luck racial traits.
- Low Blow: Some halflings train extensively in how to attack larger creatures. Halflings with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on critical confirmation rolls against opponents larger than themselves. This racial trait replaces the Keen Senses racial trait.
- Talenta Outrider: Some halflings have connections to their brethren in the Talenta Plains and know their way around dinosaur mounts. Halflings with this trait gain a +2 bonus on Handle Animal and Ride checks. This racial trait replaces the Sure-footed racial trait.
- Talenta Halfling: Halflings that live across the Talenta Plains have a nomadic culture, with moving villages and connections to the Dragonmark houses of Jorasco and Ghallanda. A Halfling with this trait grew up in the Talenta Plains and is proficient with the Talenta Tangat and the Talenta Boomerang. This trait replaces Weapon Familiarity.
- Swift as Shadows: Halflings possess incredible stealth even while moving through obstructed areas. Halflings with this racial trait reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5, and reduce the Stealth check penalty for sniping by 10. This racial trait replaces the Sure-footed racial trait.
- Underfoot: Halflings must train hard to effectively fight bigger opponents. Halflings with this racial trait gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC against foes larger than themselves and a +1 bonus on Reflex saving throws to avoid trample attacks. This racial trait replaces the Halfling Luck racial trait.