Kingmaker in Eberron
Half-elves are common in Khorvaire. The race is unique to that continent, where it grew out of the earliest minglings of humans and elves. Half-elves can be as haughty as elves, though they are more able to work comfortably with humans. A few half-elves, fascinated with death and the practices of their Aerenal ancestors, become accomplished necromancers. Others favor their human heritage more strongly, to the point of blending almost invisibly into human society. While the majority of Half-elves belong to their own distinct race, elves and humans throughout Khorvaire still intermingle and occasionally produce offspring.
Half-elf Lands: Half-elves have no homeland but can be found throughout the Five Nations. They are common in Aundair, Breland, and Thrane, and a few have migrated to Valenar to participate in the establishment and expansion of this new elven nation.
Dragonmarks: Two of the dragonmarked families are half-elven. House Lyrandar carries the Mark of Storm and operates sailing ships and flying vessels, as well as bringing rain to farmlands. House Medani carries the Mark of Detection and offers services related to personal protection. Since the union of elves and humans sometimes produces half-elves that are not part of the true-breeding race, a small number of half-elves can be found among the human and elf controlled dragonmarked houses.
- +2 to one ability score of their choice.
- Low-Light Vision: Half-elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of poor illumination.
- Keen Senses: Half-elves receive a +2 bonus on Perception checks.
- Elven Immunities: Half-elves are immune to magic sleep effects and gets a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
- Adaptability: A Half-elf receives Skill Focus as a bonus feat at 1st level.
- Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both Human and Elf for any effect related to race.
- Languages: Half-elves begin play speaking Common and Elven.
- Multitalented: A Half-elf can choose two favored classes at 1st level. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.
Alternate Racial Traits
- Arcane Training: Half-elves occasionally seek tutoring to help them master the magic in their blood. Half-elves with this racial trait have only one favored class and it must be an arcane spellcasting class. They can use spell trigger and spell completion items for their favored class as if 1 level higher (or as a 1st level character if they have no levels in that class). This racial trait replaces the multitalented racial trait.
- Sociable: Half-elves are skilled charming others and recovering from faux pas. If half-elves with this racial trait attempt to change a creature’s attitude with a Diplomacy check and fail by 5 or more, they can try to influence the creature a second time even if 24 hours have not passed. This racial trait replaces the adaptability racial trait.
- Child of Lyran: Some half-elves are born with a natural knack for taking to the water, these elves are said to be blessed by the blood of Lyran. These half-elves gain a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks, can always take 10 while swimming, and may choose Aquan as a bonus language. In addition a half-elf with this racial trait gains a +2 bonus on checks to interact with water elementals (this includes charisma checks to control bound elementals). This racial trait replaces the half-elf’s adaptability and multitalented racial traits.
- Dual Minded: The mixed ancestry of some half-elves makes them resistant to mental attacks. Half-elves with this racial trait get a +2 bonus on all will saving throws. This racial trait replaces the adaptability racial trait.