Kingmaker in Eberron
Gnomes harbor a thirst for knowledge that can only be described as lust. They believe that every piece of information, no matter how trivial, may someday have value. Combined with a meticulous discipline, this love of knowledge makes gnomes superb librarians, accountants, bards, and alchemists, but this attitude has a sinister side as well. The same talents that make an accomplished bard can produce a skilled spy, and gnome society is filled with webs of intrigue and blackmail that often pass completely unnoticed by human eyes. Like the dwarves, the gnomes have no history of empire building, but their talents for diplomacy and espionage have allowed them to maintain their independence throughout the history of Khorvaire. In addition to their skills as alchemists, gnomes have mastered the art of elemental binding, which they use to power the ships and other vessels they construct in the dry docks and shipyards of Zilargo.
Gnome Lands: The gnomes’ homeland is Zilargo. Known for its stores of knowledge and schools of learning, Zilargo is also a significant trading power on the southern seas. The gnomes of Zilargo are excellent shipwrights, and the mountains to the north and east hold fine gem mines.
Dragonmarks: The gnome House Sivis carries the Mark of Scribing, which grants magical abilities relating to the written word and translation. These abilities facilitate the house’s role in diplomacy, communications, and the production of secure documents.
- +2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Str
- Small: Gnomes are small creatures, and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a -1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Slow Speed: Base speed of 20 feet.
- Low-light Vision: Gnomes can see twice as far as humans in conditions of poor illumination.
- Keen Senses: Gnomes receive a +2 on Perception checks.
- Obsessive: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus on a Craft or Profession skill of their choice.
- Illusion Resistant: Gnomes get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against illusion spells or effects.
- Gnome Magic: Gnomes add +1 to the DC of any saving throw against illusion spells that they cast. Gnomes with a Charisma of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/Day – dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation, and speak with animals. The caster level for these effects is equal to the gnome’s level. The DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell’s level + the gnome’s Charisma modifier.
- Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes treat any weapon with the word “gnome” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Languages: Gnomes begin play speaking Common and Gnome.
Alternate Racial Traits
- Sivis Connection: Gnomes love languages and learning about those they meet. Gnomes with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and they learn one additional language every time they put a rank in the Linguistics skill. This racial trait replaces the Obsessive racial trait.
- Academician: Some gnomes are more academically inclined than others. Gnomes with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on any one Knowledge skill. This racial trait replaces the Obsessive racial trait.
- Magical Linguist: Gnomes study languages in both their mundane and supernatural manifestations. Gnomes with this racial trait add +1 to the DC of spells they cast with the language-dependent descriptor or those that create glyphs, symbols, or other magical writings. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against such spells. Gnomes with a Charisma of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day – arcane mark, comprehend languages, message, read magic. The caster level for these effects is equal to the gnome’s level. This racial trait replaces the gnome magic and illusion resistance racial traits.
- Master Tinker: Gnomes experiment with all manner of mechanical devices. Gnomes with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on Disable Device and Knowledge (Engineering) checks. They are treated as proficient with any weapon they have personally crafted. This racial trait replaces the Obsessive and Weapon Familiarity traits.