Kingmaker in Eberron
The Elves of Khorvaire have adjusted their personal sense of time since the emergence of the Dragonmark among their race inextricably bound the timeless race to that of the short-lived other races. Originally born on the continent of Xen’drik where they were slaves of the giant kingdoms, tens of thousands of years ago the elf slaves rebelled against their masters and eventually left Xen’drik entirely. Settling in the fertile tropical rainforest of Aerenal, a large island-continent to the southeast of Khorvaire.
Elven Lands: Before the long reign of the Galifar Kings, some elves decided to emigrate to Khorvaire. These elves now live among the nations of Khorvaire and have integrated almost completely into human-dominated society. These “civilized” elves have little to do with either the ancient Aerenal society or the newly formed nation of Valenar, though some individuals may have more of a connection to their ancestral cousins than the average Khorvaire elf.
During the Last War, the beleaguered rulers of Cyre bought elf mercenaries from Aerenal into their lands. After fifty years of fighting on Cyre’s behalf, these mercenaries claimed a portion of Cyre as their own, declaring that this land once belonged to the elves- a trading colony had been established on the mainland to trade with the empire of the hobgoblins long before the arrival of humans on Khorvaire. This land is now known as Valenar.
Dragonmarks: The Elven houses of Phiarlan and Thuranni, split during the Last War, together carry the Mark of Shadow with its powers of scrying and illusion. They control the business of espionage throughout Khorvaire, but they also operate more legitimate businesses related to art and entertainment. Since the split of the houses, Phiarlan and Thuranni have become ruthless competitors as each strives for dominance in the field.
- Places of Origin: A typical Elf in Eberron can be from many places, and gain different abilities to represent their home country. Aside from living in Khorvaire itself an elf may be from the distinct countries of either Aerenal or Valenar.
- +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con
- Low-light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of poor illumination.
- Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 bonus on Perception checks.
- Elven Immunities: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
- Elven Magic: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance. In addition, elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft skill checks made to identify the properties of magic items.
- Weapon Familiarity: Elves are proficient with longbows (including composite longbows), longswords, rapiers, and shortbows (including composite shortbows), and treat any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon.
Alternate Racial Traits
- Eternal Grudge: Elves with this racial trait grew up in communities with generations-old stories and legends of their giant masters in Xendrik and the noble Valenar battles against the Dragons of Argonesson. They receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the Giant and Dragon type due to special training against these foes. This racial trait replaces the Elven Magic racial trait.
- Integrated: Many elves in eberron have learned to integrate themselves into the societies of races with a much shorter life span than elves. Elves with this trait gain a +1 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Knowledge (Local) checks. This racial trait replaces the Keen Senses racial trait.
- Valenar Elf: Elves from Valenar are trained for years in the traditional weapons of the warrior caste. Valenar Elves are proficient with the shortbow, valenar scimitar, and the valenar double scimitar. This replaces the normal Weapon Familiarity trait.
- Silent Hunter: Elves from the Houses of Phiarlan and Thuranni are renowned for their subtlety and skill. Elves with this racial trait reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a -20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this racial trait). This racial trait replaces the Elven Magic trait.
- Woodcraft: Elves know the deep secrets of the wild like no others, especially those of the forests. Elves with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on Knowledge (Nature) and Survival checks. In forest terrain, these bonuses improve to +2. This racial trait replaces the Elven Magic racial trait.